Sunday, February 20, 2011

When I grow up I want to live in Legoland



Yes, sure, it's probably your turn to post now my dear sister, but I just couldn't contain myself!

Back this evening from a weekend in the city with my friend Keren. She is a photojournalist who has been living in Israel and is travelling through the States on her way back to Melbourne.

Prior to meeting up with her I was having anxious fits because I haven't seen her in a while and in that time I was scared she had, like so many of my friends, turned into a real, proper, has her life together grown-up.
I don't get the sense that I am a real grown-up.
And that's not just from exclusively sharing classes with people born in the 90's. Actively pursuing my writing now, in the dusk of my twenties, seems a little bit juvenile when I compare myself to my numerous artist/muso friends back home who are now, and seemingly quite happily, office workers and teachers. They're getting on with their lives and buying houses and getting married and I still feel like those things are so far off, if they are on my horizon at all.

Back to New York and now, I met Keren and I can't even think what it is that had me worried because she is still as much fun as ever. She actually told me she was so glad that I hadn't abandoned my creativity and that I was still pursuing my writing.
And it turns out that she feels no more grown-up than I do! She was lamenting the fact that she's heading home to Melbourne to see her baby sister get married and that for the foreseeable future she will be living with her parents while she works out what she's doing next.

So in the spirit of childlike wonder and in the wonderous shadow of consumerism, we hit the streets of Manhattan and included in our stops the Disney Store, the giant M&M store and the Lego store at Rockefeller Centre.
We also visited the NBC store at Rockefeller Centre because when I was in there the week before, a very handsome young employee there told me I had pretty eyes. And I wanted to go back and check that I wasn't just imagining that he looked like James Franco with glasses. Which looks like this by the by;



He was not there, but I may just keep going back to the NBC store until he is there again. So perhaps expect NBC themed gifts. Central Perk t-shirt for Andy?

The other great thing about hanging out in New York with Keren is that because she's a photographer, she stops and takes amazing photographs with her super-whizz-bang camera.
Now I don't have a super-whizz-bang camera to take photos with, but even with my little point and shoot Canon, the things that Keren sees to photograph with her photographers eye, are really quite speccy!
So anyway, these are some pictures of Lego shapes and colours that I took;









No comments: